Small diesel locomotive - Assembly manual
Needed parts or materials (suggested, you can use other matches parts)
- 23 pieces M2.2x6.5 screw (DIN7981),
- several short pieces of filament 1.75 mm for hinges,
- cyanoacrylate glue (not essential but may be needed to glue the wheels to the axles).
- the locomotive is prepared for assembly of a set of lights (4*white LED 5 mm), you can also use white LEDs as an imitation of reflectors (even if you do not intend to connect them to the battery),
- the cockpit is prepared for the installation of two PCB 7*7 mm switch ON/OFF.
- We recommend using PLA filament, nozzle 0.4 mm and layer height 0.2 mm, but you can test other settings.
- All files are in print-ready positions, you don't have to rotate it on your slicer.
- The elements are easy to print and do not require the use of supports, brims or rafts (the only exception is axle.stl, which prints vertically, and for this we recommend a small brim).
- Print all elements with 100% filling (the locomotive runs better if it is a little heavier, the differences in time and filament consumption when printing with a small filling are not significant).
- You will find all cabin windows in the cab-windows-all.stl file, but you can print each one separately from cab-window-***.stl files.
Assembling of parts
- If you don't want to use LEDs, you can use lamp-instead-of-LEDs.stl file instead.
- The sizes of the wheels and axles should match, but if they are too loose, try to stick them with glue. You can also slightly chamfer the ends of the axle with a regular sharpener.
If the axle is too thick, you can gently sand the hole in the wheel or you can very gently change the scale of the axle.stl file when cutting in a slicer (change the scale of the element only for horizontal, the vertical scale should remain at 1:1). We have designed a special wheel and axle assembly tool, you can print it and use it to make your work easier.
- Before assembling the cabin, check that the brake lever turns freely.
- Use pieces of filament 1.75 mm to attach doors and roof.
On June 26, 2022, due to the adaptation of trains to run on rails, the method of mounting couplers was changed. To enable connection of older wagons with newer ones, the new version of the coupler-automatic.stl and coupler-automatic-cotter.stl files should be printed and installed in older wagons. (files are available in the free locomotive model). You can also turn all couplers on older cars upside down, but this is not recommended - trains running on the tracks will not fit well into the turns.
Assembly manual movie
Click to see assembly manual on Youtube.
You can pause the movie and skip frames using "<" and ">" buttons from your keyboard.